Sunday, February 13, 2011

Black Women CAN Grow Long Hair Without Being Mixed

This post is about how black women CAN grow long hair. When I think of long hair, I think of long hair length that's bra-strap and longer. A lot of people think that if your hair is not down to your waist, then it's not long, and I'm here to tell you that's far from the truth. What upsets me is when they say that black women can't grow long hair, and if black women DO grow long hair down to their bra-strap or whatever, they (racists, uninformed black people) don't call it long, but medium-length, but when a non-black woman has hair down to her bra-strap, they call it long. The reason why they did that is because of jealousy of black women with long hair. They are saying this because they want to keep the notion that black women can't grow long hair at all! Even black people said that as well. I saw these videos on YouTube about "Hair Type", and I was watching "Hair Type: 4a, 4b, 4c". 4a, 4b, 4c is Afro-textured hair type. The narrator (black woman) said that 4a, 4b, and 4c hair doesn't grow very well, and I was like WTF???? Why do people think that only people with naturally straight hair can grow hair long and fast. What she fail to realize is that ALL hair type grows, and hair texture and ethnicity doesn't determine hair growth pace. Hair growth is 1/2 to 1 inch a month.
As much as I can't stand relaxers, if Afro-textured hair doesn't grow, then how come black woman always get touch-ups every two-weeks? That's because their hair is growing! DUH! That proves that Afro-textured hair DOES grow.

Afro-textured hair is the most fragile hair of all hair types, and it easily breaks off and make it appear like our hair is not growing when it really is. The reason why is because when your hair is tightly coiled, the natural hair oil, sebum, doesn't go down our hair shaft as freely as naturally straight hair. The tighter the curl, the harder for sebum to go down freely. And because sebum doesn't go down our hair shaft freely, it's always dry, and when it dries, the hair breaks off. That's why we always put grease and oils in our hair to prevent it from drying. Using heavy grease and oils are bad idea for Afro-textured hair types. In order for Afro-textured hair to MAINTAIN hair growth without breaking off, you have to take EXTRA EXTRA care of your hair because like I said before, Afro-textured hair is more fragile than other hair types. You also have to constantly keep it moist. I notice that water is Afro-textured hair's best friend. Water works better with Afro-textured hair in its natural state. In order to seal in the moisture, you have to use a Leave-In Conditioner that has a ph Balance of 4 to 6. But remember, just because Afro-textured hair is the most fragile doesn't mean that it doesn't grow at all. Kimmaytube has videos on YouTube to explain how to grow your hair longer than it has ever been. She and other natural sistas with long hair are witnesses that unmixed black women CAN grow long hair down to their bra-straps and beyond.


Everytime there's a video of a black woman with real long hair that's NOT a weave, some ignorant commentators will come and say that her hair is not long, or she's still a bald-headed black bitch, or she must be mixed with something to get that hair length because full black women can't grow hair that long. If a dark-skinned black woman has real long hair, people assume that it's a weave because they have this notion that it's impossible for a dark-skinned black woman to have hair that long. They want to hold on to that myth that black woman who are dark-skinned or unmixed can't grow hair down to their bra-strap or waist, and if they do, they're mixed with another ethnicity. WTF???? Someone when as far to say that the more negro genes you have, the shorter your hair, and that black women have genes from Africa that determines their short hair, and I was like WTF???? And someone also said that only white, Arab, Latinas, Indians, and Asians can grow very long hair, but not African-American women unless she's mixed with white, Arab, Latina, and Indian. She said that full-blooded black woman have very short, nappy hair, and they look like men. I can tell by the comments that she made that she's racist and jealous of unmixed black women with very long hair.

Anytime a person said something awful towards unmixed black women with long hair, that person is a racist, jealous individual who feels threatened. An attractive unmixed black woman who's slim and have REAL long hair is a THREAT to a lot of people because they want to keep the notion that unmixed black women are fat, ugly, masculine, and bald-headed. They're doing this to keep themselves at the top while putting you at the bottom. They don't want you to be on the same beauty level as women of other ethnicities.

Black women, don't listen to ignorant people who tell you that you can't grow long hair. They are doing this to keep you at the bottom of society. Black women CAN grow long hair without being mixed if you take EXTRA EXTRA care of it and not put chemicals in it.

BLACK WOMEN, FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE MIXED TO GROW LONGER HAIR!!!!!

If you have time, I want you to go to kimmaytube's channel, and she's going to show you step by step in how to achieve longer hair naturally. She's a natural sista. Here's her channel...

http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube

28 comments:

  1. Chime has amazing long hair: http://www.youtube.com/user/HairCrush

    as does Long hair don't care http://www.youtube.com/user/Longhairdontcare2011

    all natural and fully black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are absolutely correct nicole anytime bw (unmixed), seem to be moving away from where others want them to be the backlash is quick and so subtle and sophisticated and thus continues to 'get' bw.

    'inability to grow hair' is another assumption-tool to chip away at the feminity of bw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right about that, Halima. When an unmixed black woman move away from the negative stereotypes, they are backlashed the hardest. Since more and more black women are going natural, their hair has grown more longer than it has ever been. I strongly believe that those relaxers are design for black women to slow down their growth and to make their hair fall off so they can have the ASSumption that black woman can't grow long hair when they can. Let me ask you something, if black women's hair can't grow, then how come they get touch-ups ever two weeks? Obviously is because their hair is growing, right? It's like society feels threatened of a beautiful unmixed, slim, attractive black woman with REAL long hair because she destroys their perception of black women being ugly, fat, masculine, and bald-headed. Do you notice that in Hollywood, they always used a fat, unattractive, masculine-acting black woman with barely any hair? Think about it. They doing this to keep themselves on top while keeping us at the bottom. THEY DON'T WANT BLACK WOMEN TO BE ON THE SAME LEVEL AS NON-BLACK WOMEN WHEN IT COMES TO BEAUTY! They want to keep that notion going because it benefits non-black women. That way, they don't have to compete with black women. I KNOW the trick. They want to keep black women as undesirable and unattractive as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did visit kimmaytube's channel and found it very enlightening! Glad I found your post. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really is this news, wow I'm glad I'm living in this world. I know a bunch of just regular old black women with long hair shoulder-length and longer hair. I'm about to be one of them, I'm growing my hair for my wedding so by summer I'm figuring it will shoulder length or longer. This is one of the reasons I don't come on the internet frequently too much lunacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good post- and it highlights some of the subtle attacks on BW's femininity. I've heard all of the things you mention in your post when it comes to BW who have long hair. The cattiness directed at these women is beyond ridiculous, and the comments always come from other BW, who are jealous because they haven't successfully grown their own hair.

    Growing kinky hair to long lengths is challenging because it requires you to relearn all of the things that you've been taught about your hair. If we were taught properly hair care from our formative years, then growing our hair long would not be so challenging. I'm thankful for YT stations like KimmayTube, LongHairDontCare2011, BlackOnyx77, BeautifulBrwnBabyDol, Glamazini, and MopTopMaven for all their helpful tips for caring for natural hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some Black women have long relaxed hair too. I think some black women's hair grows better in it's unaltered state while some women's hair will grow in either state because they know how to take care of it.

    You are right about Afro textured hair being more fragile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Some Black women have long relaxed hair too. I think some black women's hair grows better in it's unaltered state while some women's hair will grow in either state because they know how to take care of it."

    Totally agree. I am one of those women. BTW, who relaxes their hair every 2 weeks??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, I was just giving an example that black hair does grow too. I was using touch-ups as an example. I probably was exaggerating a little bit, but the fact of the matter is that African hair does grow when you learn about your African hair to take care of it. As for me, my hair grows faster in its natural state. Ever since I stop putting chemicals in my hair, it started growing rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris Rock's Stupid Documentary(more like mockumentary) perpetuates myths about black women's hair too. I wish people would stop analyzing everything black women do. I don't see anybody analyzing what other women do.
    I don't care what nobody says. Chris Rock's "Good Hair" was nothing more than a ruse to belittle black women. I'm more annoyed with women who stupidly supported his sorry behind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sojournerlove,

    It seems to me that people just don't look at black women as women. I'm tired of all the knickpicking at us like we're not human.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just want to second what Sojournerlove said!!!! Anyone that supports Chris Rock is
    crazy. Show the beauty and versatility of
    black hair, don't mock it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have relaxed hair, and it's growing very well. I relax my hair every six weeks (and clip it afterward about a half an inch depending on the ends. I wash my hair every two weeks. I flat iron it with a ceramic flat iron, then wrap it.

    When I wash my hair, I use a neautralizing shampoo to get the normal acid ph, then use Motions CPR treatment shampoo. After that, I use a moisturizing conditioner for about 20 minutes with a cap on my head (try not to comb yet). Then, I will use Motions CPR deep conditioner, or the protein reconstructor (only use the protein maybe once every six weeks preferrably two weeks after the relaxer). Sit under the dryer if you have one with a plastic cap over your head for about twenty minutes. If you don't have a dryer, leave conditioner on about thirty minutes. I gently comb bottom first then top, then rinse. I will then spray in a little leave in conditioner. I myself prefer to blow dry my hair adding very little olive oil to my hair. After all this, I add glosser, flat iron, and style my hair. I wrap my hair and sit under the dryer. After I leave the dryer, I keep the scarf on to keep my hair setting (especially when the regrowth is back). After one week of having the wrap, I grease my scalp with ginseng hair oil (works great, I order from ebonyline.com). If my wrap gets ugly that second week, I NEVER do anything to it, I just put it up in a bun or something. I always use Motions hair care because that seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot to say that when I relax my hair, I use the lye relaxer, only put it on the regrowth, do the sides and front/back hair last since it's weaker hair, and watch the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicole Little, I think you are so right. I'm not bragging, but I am thin, and attractive, with a sexy shape. I notice that. It's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I THINK WHO CARES WHAT ANYONE THNKS ABOUT WHO HAIR IS LONG OR NOT THEY PAY ATTENTION TO US SO MUCH BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BE US THATS ALL ITS A COMPLEMENT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK LIKE YOU DO AND ITS WORKING. I RECENTLY CUT MY HAIR IN A VERY CUTE SHORT CUT I GET SO MUCH MORE ATTENTION THEN WHEN MY HAIR WAS LONG AND I DONT REALLY NEED ALL THIS ATTENTION IM AN LOW KEY TYPE OF GAL WITH A RADIATING NATURAL BEAUTY BUT MORE BLACK WOMEN ARE JEALOUS OF EACH OTHER THAN I EVER EXPERIENCED IN MY LIFE IM NOT JEALOUS OF ANYONE LOVE MY MOCHA CHOCALATTE SKIN TONE IM EXOTIC LOOKING AND IM LOVING MY SHORT SEXY CUT ALL THE MEN REALLY DIG IT AND THE WOMEN ARE TRYING TO COPY IT BUT ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING HEALTHY HAIR ALTHOUGH ITS SHORT NOW I STILL WANT IT TO BE HEALTHY AND PRETTY ITS GROWING SO FAST NOW I KEEP CUTTING IT TO KEEP THE STYLE BUT LADIES STOP WORRYING ABOUT LONG HAIR JUST TAKE CARE OF AND APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE MAKE IT LOOK CUTE AT LENGTH YOU HAVE NUTURE IT AND IT WILL GROW NEXT THING YOU KNOW IT WILL BE LONG BUT IF NOT HEALTHY

    YOU WILL SEE
    AKA:
    SHORT HAIR DONT CARE

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stop the nonsense. Most sistas will never have long hair, unless, maybe, they're mixed with white, Hispanic, etc. The truth is most sistas have, at most, 4-6 inch long hair that's never been cut.

    Shoulder length hair is considered long to black folks. The average 4 year old white, Hispanic, or Asian female has longer hair than the average adult black woman has ever had -- or likely will ever have -- her entire life. 

    Let's "keep it real."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.I'm sorry, thats just not true. Black hair in its natural state grows quite well. Do you have natural hair thats not growing? Check out youtube, the natural hair revolution thats happening can help out a ton! Have you tried to stop the chemicals that break your hair off and try to take care of it? As she put in her article there are sooo many youtube videos debunking this very racist myth regarding black hair. Oh and by the way...Latinos (Hispanics..I believe this is a derogatory term but I'm not sure) are nothing but a mix of Indigenous people, Spaniards (from Spain) and African...some of these spanish speaking people still consider themselves African/Black. Hence the terms, Afro-Cuban, Afro-Brazilian etc. etc. Just an fyi.

      Delete
    2. As a black person, I would have to agree.

      Delete
    3. That Statement is soo not true my hair grows 0.67 to 1 inch per month when I eat the right foods and drink lots of water daily. My whole family from my Dad, Mom, sisters and brothers also experience very rapid hair growth and mind you we are Africans, not mixed Africans.
      I wonder where people got that Idea that hair growth has everything to do with race...

      Delete
  18. @4boc5e18,yada,yada,yada:
    You sound like a self hating, ignorant form of a black woman. I say this because you said: "Most sistas.....That leads me to believe that you are of african decent. Your statement above proves nothing. It is not the general consensus. It is only a stupid, uneducated opinion which by the way everyone has one, however, there are certain opinions should be kept to oneself! You also sound like the worst kind of self hater there is. You sound angry because more than likely, your hair is probably only about 2 inches long total.
    And you wish your hair would grow longer, but it's because you spend more time self hating than learning about how to take care of your hair to grow it to the length you desire. To say that black women cannot grow hair past 4-6 inches is an untruth! I personally have 23 inches of hair and I am NOT mixed with anything! Both of my parents are black and their parents are black and on and on.
    How did my hair get so long? Because I learned how to take care of it and keep it.
    Maybe if you learned how to take care of yours it might grow and continue to grow to the length you really desire. And we as black women do not need such negativity to infiltrate our community as other races has taken on that task already. Because believe it or not, our self esteem is tied to our hairs. We spend billions of dollars on hair care products annually. That should tell you something. So no need to hate., One day you will be able to get past your 2 inches of hair! Keep hope alive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. BLACK WOMEN CAN'T GROW LONG HAIR THATS A LOT OF BUTTBULL@$%#!!GO TO SHIMA HAIR SHE IS ALL OVER FACEBOOK MYSPACE YOUTUBE THE INTERNET AND HAS HAIR DOWN TO HER BUTT AND SHE WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GROW YOUR HAIR DOWN TO YOUR BUTT SHE EVEN HAVE HER OWN HAIR CARE LINE AND SHE IS BLACK. I HAVE TWO AUNTS THAT GREW HAIR DOWN TO THER BUTTS AND A CUZENS THAT HAD HAIR DOWN THER BACKS ALMOST WAIST LEGNTH MY HAIR IS SHOULDER LENGTH AND GROWING MY GRAND BABY HAVE HAIR IN THE MIDDLE OF HER BACK THIS WAS ALSO THE LENGTH OF MY HAIR WHEN I WAS A TEEN. BUY THE WAY I AM A BLACK WOMAN!!! BLACK WOMEN CANT GROW LONG HAIR BULL@$%#!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just yesterday I had to set my younger sister straight, upon hearing her say "she must be mixed for her hair to be that long":(
    Hopefully she got the message that your ethnicity doesn't determine the speed of hair growth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is sooooooo true! I have just begun my journey to having HEALTHY hair. I wish I knew then what I know now coz I have been natural for three years but never took good care of my hair...

    ReplyDelete
  22. The girl in the video is obviously mixed with Asian.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank You, and Thank You. I love your blog. Yes, we can have long hair.
    I have thick 4C hair and it will grow like a weed. People always tell your hair grows fast. The secret is conditioner, protein conditioner once a month and regular conditioner after each shampoo. A lot of my family members have hair down their back and they ranged from darkest to the lightest skin tones.So, that crap about only light skin tones or mixed chicks can have long hair is BULL! Good hair is healthy and you can have beautiful hair by taking care of it.

    ReplyDelete