Wednesday, December 29, 2010

RIP Teena Marie (March 5, 1956-December 26, 2010)

On Sunday, December 26, 2010, we've lost the most beloved, influential, powerful blue eyed soul singers in history. Her name is TEENA MARIE. That exact night when my friend called my house to tell me that Teena Marie passed away, I went beserk. I was crying hard on the phone like a baby. She was found dead in her home by her daughter. The reason why I didn't post this is because I was mourning her death for a couple of days. It seems like the people that I grew up on as a child in the 80s are gone WAY too soon. People like Patrick Swayze, Corey Haim, Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, Rick James, Teddy Pendergrass, Eazy E, Guru of Gang Starr, Jam Master Jay of Run DMC, Gerald and Sean Levert of Levert and now Teena Marie. They died under 60 years old. They represented the Generation x culture for Gen Xers like myself. I miss Lady T SO SO SO much. I'm still crying at this moment. I made a dedication video to her on YouTube. Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0gx9s9hh_U

If you were born in the 1970s and earlier, you know who Teena Marie is. You remember songs like "I'm a Sucker For Your Love", "Deja Vu", "Behind The Groove", "Aladdin's Lamp", "I Need Your Lovin", "Young Love", "You Make Love Like Springtime", "Tune In Tomorrow", "It Must Be Magic", "Square Biz", "Portuguese Love", "Yes Indeed", "Casanova Brown", "Dear Lover", "Lovergirl", "Out On A Limb", "We've Got To Stop Meeting Like This", "Shangri-La", "Sunny Skies", "Oo La La La", "Work it", "Here's Looking At You", "If I Were A Bell", "Cupid Is A Real Straight Shooter", "I'm Still In Love", "A Rose By Any Other Name", "Ooh Wee", "Can't Last A Day". These are the songs that I remember throughout my lifetime. And let's not the forget the powerful songs duet with the late Rick James "Happy", "Once And Future Dream", and the ultimate ballad that stood with time, "FIRE AND DESIRE"!!!!! Lady T will always be in my heart. I'm very emotional right now. She represented my childhood just like Michael Jackson. I feel sorry for her 19-year-old daughter, Alia Rose, who tried to wake her mother up, and now she have to live with that pain for the rest of her life. Please pray that she be strong and cope with this tragic death of her beloved mother. I'm still in shock of the passing of Aaliyah and Michael Jackson, and now Teena Marie REALLY REALLY add fuel to the fire.

I hope that you keep Teena Marie's family in prayer. I offer my condolences to them
May you rest in peace, Teena Marie aka Lady T aka Ivory Queen aka Vanilla Child aka White Chocolate. You will always be in my heart forever. You will be sorely missed.
Your legacy will live on. Now you and Rick James can live together forever in paradise.

RIP Teena Marie
March 5, 1956-December 26, 2010

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Teena Marie. I was born in the sixtees and kept up with your music in the 70's and 80's.
    http://www.3phonemobile.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Teena Marie so much. She was the soundtrack of my childhood in the 1980s. She will be forever missed

    ReplyDelete